Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sweet Bart

Bart has passed away. He was 6 in April.






Blogger is experiencing hiccups and I can't seem to upload pics. I'll try again in a bit.

We loved that boy.
He was a fierce force to recon with (if you were his prey).
His prey was often a flexible straw, a non flex straw, anything plastic that moved.

Outside in our neighborhood he found live prey and brought us (almost) daily gifts. On some levels we found this upsetting and disturbing. When he was brought to the vets last night we were told this was an ultimate sign of love from him for our family.
We also found out he died of either a stroke or heart attack. 

A neighbor knocked on our door sometime after 4pm. (I had just returned from the gym) and said she had some sad news.  I knew right away it was Bart. I didn't want to comprehend he'd actually died. His head was laying across the mulch and his body along the neighbors sidewalk (he could  have been asleep). The vet thinks he simply felt ill, rested, then died.

In our house there are caches of stored straws he's collected. It sounds goofy, but that will be the saddest thing to let go of today.

He mew'd like a breathy Marilyn Monroe and wanted to be touched and petted constantly. He hung out with us people-types in the house, he was one of us.

We love you Bart, thank you for choosing us to be your family little guy.

15 comments:

Lisa-Maladylis said...

how terribly hard it is when we loose our four footed friends. I'm so sorry you lost your Bart, he sounds like a wonderful cat. Maybe you can put his things in a cup on your desk for a while till it hurts a bit less. Though it never really goes away. ((((hugs))))

liz r. said...

Oh Care, I am so sorry. It is so hard to lose an animal friend.

susie said...

So sorry to hear about Bart, I know he was well loved. Take care.

Maryann said...

Oh Care, my heart reaches out to you. I know you'll miss him so much but rest assured knowing he knew he was so loved and that he passed away peacefully.

xx

My Art and My Soul said...

Care, I am so sorry. I know how you loved him and he loved you. The vet was correct about him bringing you his gifts of love. I'm just so sad for you right now......(((((((hugs)))))) Love, Sal

CarolynArtist said...

*group hug*

another one...*group hug*

nothing can replace a furry loved one.

Scrappy just left her cardboard box in my studio, she goes still in mid-stride every few steps to look at her tail sideways, then attack it, and so forth...I just want to bunch her up and hold her tight

ckdowns said...

Oh, honey, that's so hard--and you've shared such great stories and pictures of your sweet Bart--I know you love him so....

Sending huge hugs...I just came out of the Blogger fog as far as posting comments...had some problems...but you've been on my mind and in my heart, especially right NOW!!!!!!!!

CarolynArtist said...

Caroliiiiiiiiiine, I've been thinking of you and hoping you are okay with all of the crazy weather your state has endured!!! I'll be sending you a line soon, hope all is okay dearest!

Nay said...

I am so sorry.
*hugs*

Jodi Flood said...

Oh Carolyn, this is heartbreaking news about Bart. I hope you're doing okay. I know how much you love him... I'm so sorry...

CarolynArtist said...

thank you all for your sweet comments, we all love our furry friends! Bart is so missed, but he was so loved.
*more hugs*

cindyh. said...

So sorry to hear about your loss Care. Bart sounds like he was a very special cat and I know he was well loved! Keeping you in my thoughts! (((hugs))) ♥ Cindy

Fanciful Expressions said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Bart. I know you loved him and I'm sure he knew it too. It's so hard to lose our sweet friends but think of the ways that he enriched your lives and you his.

SamIAm said...

Hi Care, so sorry for your loss. I am just now getting around to reading blogs and articles that I have not had time to keep up on. I have been hospicing my Tom cat pretty much since March of this year. My Tom was diagnosed with oral squamous cell carcinoma that metastasized to his local lymph node, behind is right eye and his right sinus. Tom lost his battle with cancer on Monday, and I know how much a loss of a special furry loved one is. My other fur babies and I are greiving the loss of our friend. I am sure that your sweet kitty will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge, and one day you will be with your special kitty again. Hugs!

CarolynArtist said...

more group hugs. it is amazing how much joy our furry friend give to us!!!

Samantha, I'm so sorry for you loss...this has been a long summer for you...I hope you can grieve and let yourself laugh about all the good times with your Tom...*hugs*