Friday, March 4, 2011

A Bit About Sugilite- Along With A Fresh Bud In Form Of Ring

from Wikipedia...
Sugilite (also known as luvulite) is a relatively rare pink to purple cyclosilicate mineral with the complex chemical formula KNa2(Fe,Mn,Al)2Li3Si12O30. Sugilite crystallizes in the hexagonal system with prismatic crystals. The crystals are rarely found and the form is usually massive. It has a Mohs hardness of 5.5 to 6.5 and a specific gravity of 2.75 to 2.80. It is mostly translucent.



Sugilite was first described in 1944 by the Japanese petrologist Ken-ichi Sugi (1901–1948) for an occurrence on Iwagi Islet, Japan, where it is found in an aegirine syenite intrusive stock. It is found in a similar environment at Mont Saint-Hilaire, Quebec, Canada. In the Wessels mine in northern Cape Province of South Africa, sugilite is mined from a strata-bound manganese deposit. It is also reported from Liguria and Tuscany, Italy; New South Wales, Australia; and Madhya Pradesh, India.

I offer you this gorgeous Sugilite Pink to Purple Ring in Sterling Silver and hope it causes you to think of Spring!



I have another Sugilite stone, matching, which I purchased with the intent to make a pair of earrings but decided the stone was too big and thick...so look for another ring or pendant soon (or contact me if you'd like me to make you a custom piece with this stone) :-)

I've got real buds coming up in my garden...they're green, can't wait for all the brilliant colors to pop out front! :-)

Have a wonderful day!

5 comments:

susie said...

Beautiful. I love the cut and color on that stone, just lovely. I just got some sugalite (small ovals for earrings), but mine are much more darker, I can't wait to make something pretty with them. Loving the spring color sprouting up in your shop:)

CarolynArtist said...

Thanks Susie. I'm falling for this stone too. Looking forward to seeing what you make with yours :-)

The Noisy Plume: said...

AHHHHHHH!!!!!! Wanna eat that stone!!!!!!!! Beautifully set, of course. xx

Willow Branch said...

I love that stone & it literally looks like candy. Wonderful!!!

Pam

CarolynArtist said...

Hello Miss Jillian, I was just on your blog admiring your amazing buffalo and other creations. Thanks for the kudos, this stone looks like candy and SPRING! :-) (miss you on FB so much!)
Pam, Trying to decide what to do with the other stone....:-)