Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Family...

...is Everything... *eep none of the comments are showing up, not sure if this is a Blogger issue?*

As I mentioned in my vlog, we are enjoying the company of my sister-in-law and 2 of her 5 children. (Aly, the eldest, was able to stay for a week and headed back to Arizona)
Yesterday my niece Dana and I had a date in my smithing studio. She wanted to make a Tomboy Spinner...and guess what? She did!

Daughter Angelica and niece Dana at work...


I'm not sure  what happens to a person's concept of time- Dana was sure  the time went by fast, I was sure it was slower...I hope this means she had fun :-) (I sure  did!)

after soldering components for the spinner ring Dana was hard at work scrubbing,
and scrubbing (and more scrubbing) the outer spinning ring with baking soda



see? it really looks...white!




After many steps of soldering, hammering and gauging, she was ready to start the flaring process of her spinner ring- she was so careful and thoughtful with the tools and the piece!





I tried  to dissuade her from the dreaded (imo) LOS! (liver of sulfur) but she decidced she would like the black texture (it really did make the ring pop- and agreed about how bad it smelled!) Here she is holding it after we carefully neutralized the ring in baking soda and now we were ready to make it shine!




This was probably the most boring part, sitting and watching the tumbler do its thing!
(Sal if you see this I took your advice and lined my soldering area with tin foil, what a difference clean up can be!!!) uhhh..."can be" he he

I had to get a pic with this  amazing child...



FINALLY! The end result, a gorgeous Tomboy Spinner Ring made by Dana!


Yes, I made her wear one of my vintage aprons, she said it made her feel like an old lady, but it did the job keeping gunk off her clothes...

6 comments:

Fanciful Expressions said...

How wonderful for her. Really good of you to teach her.I also am teaching my granddaughter a few of the basics. She loves the torch~ another jeweler in the making?

Nay said...

too cute! She did a good job! I am teaching my cousin leah who is 15 how to make a spinner ring. She wants one with hebrew on it. Anyways I am making her practice in copper first. Your brave to let your niece jump right into silver!

CarolynArtist said...

oooh dear I saw a comment come thru and now it's gone, i hope my blog isn't acting wonky!

CarolynArtist said...

ahhh I see the comments now...

aren't we smart to teach some future helpers??????

Nay I am horrible with copper, I can work with silver and golds, but am really off with copper, I should have given it more time in the beginning?

Maryann said...

Can you teach me next, pretty please Care???

(Talent obviously runs in your family xx)

CarolynArtist said...

Hi Maryann, yes, stop by, we can have a smith date :-)