Saturday, July 31, 2010

Etch

These past couple of weeks I've enjoyed smith play-dates with my friend Jodi (I'm sure you've read mention of her or seen pics of her on my blog). Thursday she sent an email announcing she was on her way to pick me up and we crashed the studio in Alexandria, best move I made this week. We were both so exhausted for various reasons, and yet we went and forged our way with some metal. (get it? forged? tee hee...)

During our smith time in her studio (which I've come to love btw) we tested out her etching materials. (both of us have experience with this in class, doing it at a home studio seemed more daunting)

All I can say is it's wonderful, it works, and V for ventilation!!!
My best tip
Do not use a new iron with auto shut off, nor have it on steam setting. An older iron is your best bet. Upside down in the vise!

Here's Jodi doing it right...almost, we discovered (yet again Nick was right) the paper towel underneath simply added air and kept direct heat from the silver and once removed it took well)


This is me outside, I went first, used the newer iron, and held used it in the vise, the smart iron turned itself off (tsk tsk it was upside down in a vise!)  My blue paper didn't stick as well, but I got some really cool design anyway (repetitive design works well for mistakes)
So, I'm just waiting for the stuff to eat away the silver (I probably should have better shoes on for this)



One of my favorite window treatments in her studio
(of course these are hand made by artists from Etsy)



Isn't Jodi, so...scientific?



say "cheese"
Jodi is working hard at her bench


Hoping to show pics of  my piece soon. I've also got some other goodies recently made. Thank you sweet souls for purchasing my latest pieces! :-)

Jodi's piece (from our day of etching) turned out perfect, and if she gets it up on her blog I'll link over to it for you.

Hubby and I are going to hang with some friends who just came back from spending 2 weeks in Spain and France~ we're looking forward to hearing the stories.  These folks are well traveled. Their teen son got an education on the beaches of Spain, so we hear (*cough*) I'm sure he had questions, and/or was a bit mystified/mortified. It's wonderful to experience the cultures in this amazing world. Can't wait to hear about the foods, and wines....I'm not a cheese person, but I'll hear about the cheeses too!

5 comments:

susie said...

I've only ever done etching on copper (with the same chemical used to develop photos, so it's less toxic than other acids). Can't wait to see your results!

Have a wonderful night out with your friends!

Fanciful Expressions said...

I've etched silver a long time ago when I was in school. It came out pretty good but at home I'm sticking to copper. Can't wait to see what you've made.

thebearaffair said...

Hi Care and Jodi, Can't wait to see what you etched. My system should be here this week and I am sossssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooexcited!!!! I also ordered the newest tool I've seen for riveting - the new riveting system from Metal Clay Findings - it will pierce the hole and set the rivet with precision without drilling and hammering. OH, BY THE WAY, DID I TELL YOU THAT I AM A TOOL FREAK?????? Well, I am and I love it!!!! Can't wait for this to arrive too. I only have 2 more things that are on my wish list - a rolling mill and a guillotine (SP) to cut metal nice and straight.....Dear Santa............too funny, my word verification tonight is rungrami - get it???? Run Grami!!! Gotta go, hugs to you both...

Nay said...

Hey Care,

Did you have to photocopy the PNP or did you print it out of a printer? For some reason the PNP does not work with my printer. Just wondering if there is a trick to printing it out on an ink jet rather then a photo copy machine.

CarolynArtist said...

Nay, it has to be a laser jet printer for the PNP to work. (ink jet no worky)
LOL Sal! I wanna see your etchings! I remember seeing your first vlog, you cracked me up so much, you had every tool out there!
Susie and Carolyn, is the etch time about an hour or more? Curious. I want to etch on copper too! :-)