Saturday, May 29, 2010

...Gently Down the Stream...

merrily merrily merrily merrily...



This brooch/Pin is so whimsical. I started it a while back, and wanted to rework the back mechanism. So...in my OCD style (those of you who follow my blog know I work this way) I removed the stone and made my own pin back mechanism. It's easy to do, and I like it so much more than the pre-fab ones. I do have pre-fab ones I've used, and they are great, and all sterling silver, but there is something special about creating your own piece with your touch all over it, everywhere humanly possible.






The person who purchases this will be someone who does not shy away from larger pieces. (I used to say that about all those really chunky spinners I used to make and sell) This Pretty is just under 4" from stem to end, and is about 1 1/2 " at its widest area near the turquoise stone.

The back has my makers mark, and is stamped .925. Every part of this leaf from tip to stem has been smoothed down so you'll just want to touch it.

Nothing too exciting going on in our private lives. I'm hiding away in my studio, I just feel like hiding...and being cozy with my hubby and cats. Ever have times like these? Am also crying a lot, I guess I'm an emotional girl, always was, and always will be, it's my nature.

I'm sending out another golf ball marker and one of my Bella Luna pendants, oh I love this work! (to work as an artist and not be stuck behind a desk...I just don't have it in me to work any other way) That said, I feel blessed.

Soon the sounds of Rolling Thunder will fill the roads in the DC Area, bikers from wars past. It's very moving to see them pass by in large groups. They've got their own journey this weekend as we celebrate Memorial Day in the United States.

5 comments:

ckdowns said...

This brooch looks just BEAUTIFUL--love the leaf, and the phrase....AND your whimsy!!! Good for you!!!

You've been on my mind...my poppies are growing, but no buds yet. We've been chilly here, and rainy--had another inch just since last night and all day today, so my blossoms will surely grow now!

I can tell you find joy in your work with silver and stones, Care--this newest piece continues to show that!!!!!

Big ol' prairie hugs to you....

CarolynArtist said...

Caroliiiiiiiiiiiiiine...I think of you often too...I knew you'd seen this piece when I saw a pretty thumb with wings as a heart, thank you!!! :-)

I hope the prairie air is nice right now!!!

CheekyLemur said...

Beautiful.
Would look so good in copper too!

The Noisy Plume: said...

Love.
Love.
Love.

CarolynArtist said...

Julia, it would, can I admit I was never very good with copper ;-/ I do love to change its color with heat...any soldering suggestions?
Thank you young Jillian :-)