Saturday, April 24, 2010

Weave Me A Good Story Grandma






Thinking of my grandmother today, fondly. Mainly because it is her sister Min's 95th Birthday. Min is the final surviving sibling of my grandmother. I met her a couple of times when I was a kid- (and again at my grandmother's funeral)- during the summers I spent in Oregon with my grandparents. Min was very close to another sister, Ida. Ida recently passed away. We sent flowers from the East Coast Shepard's...I wish I could be there and give her a hug and look at photos of Min, her sisters and just be with her.

As far as I know, she never married, and she, Ida, and Ruth (all sisters of Grandma) all got secretarial training at the Haskell Institute, in Kansas (a Native American school). They then worked for the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the VA as secretaries in different parts of the country, including DC, Chicago, Albuquerque, Portland, and LA. When Ida's husband passed away she moved to Sioux City, and about 10 years later, Min gradually moved back there from LA.
You see, Min was born on the Santee Sioux Reservation. I guess she is close to where she was born, but I'm not familiar with Sioux City, IA, or Nebraska...I think a road trip is in order soon.

It's raining out today so I pulled out some old pieces I've made, yes I also weave beads...and yes it takes hours and hours. The wonderful thing about bead weaving is how lost and focused you can get. When I was a girl I used to beg my grandmother for an "Indian" dress. (this after seeing a PowWow- what are they called now?) at Chemawa in Oregon.
So I have a love of weaving, of color, mostly I have this intense love for my grandmother, and her sisters.


Here's a peek into what will be going into our LuxeCoop shop...and there will be more weaving and fiber wearables too...





4 comments:

susie said...

Beautiful history.

CarolynArtist said...

thanks Susie, I look forward to what you create with all those amazing books you have!!!(and your own memories!)

Willow Branch said...

Wow Care!!! Beautiful work. I tried bed weaving one time & got all tangled up. It still sits all in tangles....I don't know how I did it. lol

Pam

CarolynArtist said...

Hiya Pam! Oh yeah -Tangles Happen!!!! It's a nice time away from soldering, and it's fun. The weird thing is I could never get into cross stitching, it drove me nuts...go figure :-)