Monday, February 15, 2010

Snow Day with Neighbor Kids...We Unplugged

We decided to have a Play Day in the snow! Sitting around plugged into cyberspace can really make a person cranky. I dared hubby to round up some kids from our neighborhood and build a fort or an igloo. My first suggestion was a snow sculpture, or snow person/animal...those suggestions caused hubby to give me that funny "you're an artist and I'm not look"
An hour later I was out, with about 5 layers of clothing on knocking on our neighbors door.

I will tell you this, climbing up to the area we chose to attempt our fortress was quite a feat on our feet. These older bones were a little shocked to walk in a couple of feet of settled snow. The kids took it all in stride.

It was windy so we made a large circle in the snow and built a nice wall around so we could enjoy some home made (yes the old fashioned) hot cocoa. Remember that? MMM it was so good too.


Hubby was determined to make an igloo


It proved a fun area to hide from winds, though later those who sought out this area for comfort got hit by snowballs! (for a while there was a sweet girl I'll just call Teen, well...Teen spent her whole time in the igloo texting, what else would a teen in an igloo do???) :P


Managed to catch a snowball in the air, see if you can find it?


Look at this stash of freshly made snow balls!!!


We went thru 2 batches of home made hot cocoa, enjoyed the sun in the snow, something I hadn't realized you could do unless skiing.

Later hubby and I took our Tylenol and headed out for an early dinner at one of our favorite Irish Pub. We enjoyed very heavy Irish winter foods with wonderful beer on tap.

We chose some live calla lilies for our daughter for Valentines Day, she loves them, I'd like to figure out to grow them :-)

7 comments:

Peridots Garden Blog said...

What an incredibly wonderful family day! The memories of this special day will last a lifetime for everyone involved!

Sandy

Kirsten said...

Glad you had a fun day, Carolyn! Irish Winter food and beer sounds good.... makes me want to make a Shepherd's pie..... Nice warm comfort food for winter.

Allen Wilson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CarolynArtist said...

It was really fun Sandy! Kirsten, the dinner with hubby was so good...I agree comfort food for winter is the best on a super snowy day! :-)

Mr Wilson, I have never really said this on my blog, but your post is tasteless netiquette, so it will go bye-bye right now...

ckdowns said...

What a great idea--lucky kids for having you as neighbors!!!!!

And, Care, you have a LOT of snow STILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm impressed with your unplugged attitude!!

CarolynArtist said...

Caaaaaaaaaaaroliiiiiiiiiiine!!!!!
tee hee hee my gosh the amount of snow is unreal. Mostly because there is nowhere to put it once it's moved out of the roads, sidewalks etc. We'll be having play opps for a while.
I do look forward to more sun, even if the temps don't get high...and the squirrels are having quite a feast out back :-)

I hope you are warm too!!!

Jodi Flood said...

Oh boy looks like you had a great day in the snow! Bet the neighborhood parents loooove you! Great picture of the little boy with all those snowballs stocked up and ready to be thrown at passers-by. And the Teen just sat in there texting--classsic!

You guys have so much fun together!