Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Flat Roof Snow Removal Part II (new Pics as of noon)

::UPDATE:: We are having high winds and staying insdide for the day if at all possible...it's really not safe to be driving today at all. (no post office runs from this house either...)

Caroline thanks for the birdie food suggestion. I did a Gooogle search and found out all kinds of foods they like. Our daughter bought a bag of raw sunflower seeds. I've got a big huge peanut can (cleaned out) with an apple covered in peanut butter and filled with sunflower seeds. The winds are so strong I doubt (as you said) the birdies want to flit about? I didn't realize they were waiting, nor did I understand that they have no access to insects, etc and are relying on bird feeders. Doh makes sense now.

Here's some new pics from around 9 this morning
Back Deck, yeah that's high


Our front, no shoveling unitl tomorrow probably...


Guys coming down from roof across the way, they removed all the snow in high winds...









Quick question for you birdie feeders- how do I make a sheltered bird feeder fast? Nothing fancy or artsy...and I have little salt-free sunflower seeds...what else do they like? (thanks)

It's starting to feel like the movie Groundhog Day around here.
But we are so lucky...we have heat, and food and water. Lots of folks have been without power for days...and it is cold...

Yesterday morning I heard hubby speaking to a neighbor via phone, I was still half in my sweet slumber but quickly jarred into the day with these words---
"Okay, I'm going to run up and get an hour in while I can."
Oh man he made me furious and I never got dressed so fast for a ladder climb in my life!
-----------------------February 9th, 2010----------------------
Daughter, Angelica, out front, she and I threw about 4 water bottles up to Dad, only to have them oddly return and land in the several feet of snow, we'll find them come Spring! He did get a fresh bottle, a 15 year old neighbor got one up with one fast chuck, phhhhssst...it hurt a little...only a little...


Needless to say the snow was so heavy and thick up there he could only get about a tenth of the roof done in an hour.

Neighbors removing ladder for their roof after hubby made it safely up...



We got the call that one of the roofing co's were willing to come out and clear us out for @@\!!!! amount of money. With hubby on our roof and a neighbors teen kids up on another roof, we gladly decided to cave in and pay the high cost for a worry-free flat snow-free roof. Another neighbor joined in on the cost which helped. It was comforting knowing that we did everything humanly possible to avoid at best- leaks- at worst- a cave in.

Angelica making room on back deck for roofers to drop roof snow...



Left front of house, after roofers left...about 5-6 feet


Last night, Feb 9th, 2010 after snow roof removal - out front




As of this morning I'm not sure how many more inches we have on the roof, though nothing as compared to before. It's been snowing, our paved walkways are covered in white, I'm not sure how many inches so far, we're due for more today, along with very heavy winds.

the winds are strong out the back window as I write this...I'm not sure if the snow is super heavy or its a mixture of both wind blown snow and new snow?

This is all new to me...

I plan to work on finishing a custom spinner ring, and another sweet order for a Petite Spinner came thru...which will keep me in my studio later, when the neighbors start moving about.

6 comments:

Jodi Flood said...

Oh my gosh, Johnny was on the roof and they took the ladder away??? Yipes! I'm glad you all found someone to relieve him from having to shovel up there. And hopefully today's snow will be lighter and the wind'll just blow it off your roof. Stay warm and keep your man's feet on solid ground--no more ladders balanced on snow piles!

ckdowns said...

The birds don't need a sheltered feeder--just get seeds out there for them!

We feed birds all winter, in all kinds of weather, and nothing is ever covered. Sunflower seeds are AWESOME--almost everything likes them and they are HIGH protein, HIGH energy fuel for the little guys. When the weather is bad (wind, snow), the birds will just sit tight--as soon as conditions clear enough for them, they'll get out there and find the seed.

I'll write more later....

TAKE CARE!!!!!!

Vita said...

WHOA! That is ALOT of snow! We don't often get that much up here....it's often too cold to snow that much! hehe ;)
Hope you all fare well with these blizzards! Good luck and stay warm!!

CarolynArtist said...

The ladder sharing gave us an odd feeling for sure, but it all worked out! :-)
Vita, I now realize I couldn't fare parts of Canada nor Alaska! I am a suburban/urban wimp!!! :P
Caroline, thanks SO MUCH for the info, I think this spring i'm going to research more on bird watching...will have feeders up under a balcony, away from the cats...

Vita said...

Oh no worries Care! It could happen for sure and probably has, I just have a bad memory, hehe! Plus, I, too, am a winter wimp, hahah ;) but have no choice but to tough it out...a snow day sounds rather divine but, alas, even the kids up here have to go to school in -40!! (which is basically the whole month of January, LOL!)...which means I, too, have to go to work! What a rip, eh?! heheh :P

PS-ahahah, I love your little squirrel and cat window! ohh, it cracks me up everytime I see it!

CarolynArtist said...

Lol Vita, not a rip at all...it keeps us stronger eh? (do all Canadians say "eh" a lot?)