Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Colors


I did a google search for colors...and there is a page for this subject. Then I found the most alluring photo by Author MichaelMaggs, 14 October 2007(2007-10-14)

List of colors- Wikipedia

I clicked on an interesting sounding color name and found this:
Coquelicot
and
of course there was a link because everything links in cyberspace...however I was thrilled to see
the link led to this
Coquelicot
Coquelicot is a bright red color, tinted with orange. It is the color of flowers of Papaver rhoeas, the corn poppy. In French, coquelicot is a vernacular name of this poppy. Claude Monet painted "Les Coquelicots" or "Poppies Blooming" in 1873.


Les Coquelicots by Claude Monet, 1873.The first recorded use of coquelicot as a color name in English was in the year 1795.

Coquelicot in human culture
Film
Coquelicot is the name of a character in the 1967 French film King of Hearts (1966 film).

Literature
The character Isabella in Jane Austen's novel Northanger Abbey favorably describes hat ribbons of the color. In a letter to her sister Cassandra in 1796 Jane Austen reported the fact that coquelicot was the most fashionable color in Bath.


Here's a non-wiki fact, I often choose the color for my piggies (summer pedicures) based on the name given...after I decide on the shade. OPI has the most witty names!

*wiggles toesies*

I'm off to count my cats...(tis getting cold out again)

5 comments:

susie said...

I always thought my dream job would be naming make-up and paint colors- I would love that.

CarolynArtist said...

Me too Susie, wouldn't it be super fun???
sometimes the shades of OPI nail polish colors are so so similar, I go by the name given on the bottom! (i'm a sucker for words!)

thebearaffair said...

Hope everyone is accounted for. By the way, we have snow in our nearby mtns too...strange weather pattern. To answer your earlier question about getting together with....I don't think so at this time. Have a warm, toastie day..Hugs, Sal

CheekyLemur said...

Hope all cats are present and correct.
Might be worth counting your piggies too if it's been cold, lol

李小龍Paul said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.