Thursday, October 22, 2009

Retro Red Ring in Silver and Enamel

Retro Red Ring in Silver and Enamel




The story behind this ring goes like this
Yesterday Care was at the studio, having her smithing lesson, and feeling very much like a sloth...with many half made pieces in front of her. She was becoming even more slothy-frothy as the minutes dragged into hours and while observing all the other arists buzzin around her in a frenzy of work she became anxious. She became stiff and felt very black and white with a touch of grey inside. Nothing seemed to be jump starting her creativity. It was starting to make her feel panicky (she is a very highly driven gal who is a bit too hard on herself).
She went for a walk outside in the gorgeous blue-sky day in Old Town Alexandra. In front of her was the Potomac River... she thought- such history in this town - she passed a sushi bar and realized she's never tried it. Her thoughts were scattered (much like this story)She even thougth about Jodi, her smithing buddy who sits to her right (Care's left ear is deaf, did you know that?), who she carpools with and was busy back in the studio making an intricate ring.

(please don't leave yet- I'm really getting to my point :-)

Upon returning to the studio she began to wander about and see what her fellow students were whipping up. And then it hit, like prozac with coffee after a long sleep, like a serendipidous moment when someone holds out their hands and says "pick one" and you know there's chocolate in both hands! It was Cecilia. (don't you love that old song???) She had made many many (and I'm going to add a bunch of these --->!!!!!!<----) Many little round domed colorful pieces of enameled cabochons!!!!
My brain lit up, and I began to feel giddy...I wanted to lick them all! I wanted to put them all in rows and stare and stare.

(okay, first person...)
You can imagine the rest of the story, I hunted Cecilia down (she was trying to get some work done, sorry Cecilia!!!), cornered her and just to get me away from her- she offered me SIX. I have 6 of these amazingly bright colored pieces of enameled cabochons. Actually she's just an incredibly sweet woman, and very talented. If you could see the pieces she was making...I just fell in love with them!

I've spent today fulfilling an Etsy order, resizing some rings for Mark, and getting the 14k Rose Gold Spinner Wedding Ring ready for its debut tomorrow.

And in between I had to play....and here she is...


This is my hibiscus my daughter gave me years ago, back in the corner of the kitchen it loves best. One little bloom left. I love her, and I love Angelica.


This is hubby making beef stew in our slow cooker. He doubled the recipe, and then some. (pre-cooked) All I can say is my tummy has been a happy camper for a couple of days!!! (I love my hubby)

12 comments:

Willow Branch said...

That ring is sassy & gorgeous. I can't imagine what you're going to do with the rest.

I hate that feeling. Everyone else seems to know what they're doing & how they're going to do & I'm just there...encaptured by the bevy of activity whirling around me. You got on your feet very well, though.

Your hibiscus is a happy thing. It's a heathy looking plant.

Beef stew..mmmmmm...yum.

Pam

Asil Designs said...

What a beautiful ring!!!
Great work as usual :0)

CarolynArtist said...

Pam, I meant to convo you back! (here I go...) I figured we've all been there...Oh I wish I had all the little orbs she made, just to stare at!
Asil thank you!!! :-)

CarolynArtist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CheekyLemur said...

Why don'y you try making your own enamelled orbs...you could fire them with a torch if you do not have a kiln.
Snap! I too have a deaf left ear!
Snap! I make enamelled cabs!

Tammy's Treasure Chest said...

I love the ring, and I love reading about the thoughts ands processes that lead us to do what we do!

thebearaffair said...

Lovely - I agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............make your own. I also have a deaf left ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Sometimes it is convenient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hugs, Sal

CarolynArtist said...

Lol Cheeky, do you have Ménière's too? I love your snaps girl!
Guys I don't want to learn to enamel, not out of laziness, just out of one more bunch of tools, and chemicals to deal with. I heard it was easy and it's glass, and you can torch or use a kiln. I just wanna make things I find...
this isn't my favorite ring, I was thinking of another design...next time.
omgosh Sal you too? WOW...I agree, it's convenient when hubby snores, I sleep deaf ear up!
hey Cheeky do you sell your cabs?

CheekyLemur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaime said...

how did I miss this care ??? LOVE the colour in that enamel - its very Care!

CarolynArtist said...

Jaim! I didn't make the enameled cab, it's an area I'll leave to the more advanced. I'll stick with metal and resins...but thanks!
I LOVE the color! Isn't it LICKABLE?

CarolynArtist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.