Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Note From This Noiseless Patient Spider

Family at the Oregon Coast (My cousin Marita and her two girls Dorothy and Daphne and myself)

My vacation is winding down...it's been a fruitful fun ride. I flew out here on my own and have fumbled my way around so many amazing places.

I've seen family, friends and dealt with old ghosts. Ghosts in the forms of memories represented by houses and names of towns. The Oregon coast is as beautiful as ever. It's always seemed like a mystical place. A place to reflect the movements and decisions of the day and the hours ahead. It seems impossible a thing to imagine that the waves could sound different than any other in the world but I swear they do.

(On a lighter note I've gained about 5-10 lbs.)

There has been a stock supply of belly laughs, followed by more laughter. The kind that shakes you do the ground rolling in a fit where your whole body is echoing with laughter.

Memories are strange sensations. I have missed my brother, but not been sad, I realized near a playground in Salem, Oregon that I still carry him in me and always will.

Familiar expressions, vocal tones that seem to go back as far as one can hope to recall feel so lovely and warm. They feel like coming home. I realized home is in me, it will never be an external destination. It may seem like a little trite, this epiphany of mine~ coming from a woman who spent most of her growing years always traveling, always moving~ feeling her way to the next destination.

Poetry grounds me and this one often comes to mind:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walt Whitman (1819–1892). Leaves of Grass. 1900.

208. A Noiseless Patient Spider


A NOISELESS, patient spider,
I mark’d, where, on a little promontory, it stood, isolated;
Mark’d how, to explore the vacant, vast surrounding,
It launch’d forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself;
Ever unreeling them—ever tirelessly speeding them. 5

And you, O my Soul, where you stand,
Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing,—seeking the spheres, to connect them;
Till the bridge you will need, be form’d—till the ductile anchor hold;
Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul. 10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me, at Powells Books, largest independent run bookstore in the country, and oh did I have a hoot. Bought and had 6 books sent home. Art Deco history, smithing books and the new Dave Eggers novel.



Jessica, my dear friend

12 comments:

sassyglassdesigns said...

It looks like and sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

CarolynArtist said...

Hiya Sandi! :-) Iyam iyam! I'll be flying home tomorrow morning, meanwhile hubby is enjoying 3 days of golf back home! (lol)
Hope you are doing well too!

bella-bijoujewellery said...

So good to read your blog again my sweet Care - I miss ya!! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time - just what you need me thinks!
hugs
Jaim

CarolynArtist said...

Bella Jaim! HI! Its been really good to get away for sure! :-)

ckdowns said...

Those people love you...how cool is THAT?? SO glad to hear you've laughed and loved and looked over some memories and made more new ones...AND flown all the way across the country and back again. :-)

Thanks for sharing the poem--good day for a poem!! And a grand poem for pondering....

Fly home safely, and hold those moments of laughter and beauty close in your heart. And just think about all the hugs you'll get back at home (plus the new books!!!).

Tammy's Treasure Chest said...

Great post. I think laughter really is good for the soul.
I love the poem! Thanks for sharing.

Willow Branch said...

We've missed you Care!!!!! Glad you had a good time.

pam

thebearaffair said...

Good to see you back my friend, we've all missed you. Have a pleasant journey home and enjoy. Hugs, Sal

CarolynArtist said...

Hi Ladies! It's good to hear from all of you! *hugs!*
I fly in the morning, hoping to be able to move my seat up closer to the front, less turbulance...
Hi Car-o-line, 'tis a grand poem to ponder! :-)
me too Tammy, lots of laughing!!!
Pam any new items my dear??? I hope so! (I'll check your blog when I get home) and Sal CONGRATS on the new addition!!!

VickiTheMiddleSister said...

Hi Care...Glad you had a good time. Good to have you back.

Vicki

lisaslovlies said...

I am so glad you had a good trip Care!! I've missed you!

CarolynArtist said...

Hi Vicki and Lisa, it's soooo good to be home! :-)