Thursday, August 13, 2009

This Girl Loves Competition



...where it belongs, in sports...not arts...

This Sunday my sweet hubby and I will head back to the racing grid. We recently decided to make time to race our Mini Cooper with our local SCCA. (Sports Car Club of America) The type of racing we do is called Autocross. If you love sports, cars, and the feeling of freedom as you push yourself you would love doing this.
Our little Mini does hug the turns and corners very well. Personal skill comes into play as you try to maneuver the correct direction and turn and timing as you speed up, slow down, brake and accelerate into the esses and all the while avoiding those orange cones. The cones are both a curse and a challenge. They direct the racer and they cannot be driven over, mowed down or otherwise moved from their spot (Ode to the cone, bow down to it!). There are not lines of cones showing the racer where to go next, so it is important to read ahead for your next move. It can get confusing. Each racer gets 4 runs for their best time. Usually there is time before the grid heats up to walk the course. Once you've walked it and the race goes live you just hope you can stay on course and have a fantastic time!

I'll be racing Open Class (Ladies and Gents mixed) there shouldn't be a difference of how hard one pushes their cars and skills. There is a Ladies class. There are some very fast ladies. In fact there are ladies who can kick the time out of a lot of the men with their cars. It's all in fun. And it is a rush. It is a lovely rush.

Does anyone else race?

DH knows my dream is to have an original old mini to tool around with. I would be the slowest car out there, but boy would that be a fun ride!

14 comments:

susie said...

I feel the need... the need for speed. Have fun! Tom and I used to road rally and do scavenger hunts with our MG club (pre-kids since the MG is a 2 seater). My mother-in-law used to race her Corvair convertible, and Tom and I have all vintage (56 olds, 31 ford, 56 fairlane, and a purple el camino with flames). We have met the nicest people through our cars and enjoy them thoroughly. Enjoy your weekend racing!

CarolynArtist said...

Hey Susie, you know exactly what it is I'm talking about. Wow you have some very wonderful cars! We've also met some lovely people thru the car club! (even friends from UK we have visited and keep in touch with)
Rally is hard, I've seen those, with a map, timing, and all that.
I've never done a scavenger hunt, but they do looks super fun!!!
alas, all these fun things take up so much time!

bella-bijoujewellery said...

"...where it belongs, in sports...not arts..."

- couldn't agree more with that statement!!

As for racing, oh boy I would love to try that! My dad used to always tease me when I was younger saying that I should be in nascar because of the way I drive ( yes I've cooled my jets since then lol)
Sounds like fun!!

-Jaim

TheWireSmith said...

I used to do autocross, too. In a 98 BMW M3. Then I hungered for more speed so we took up driving schools and track days w/our local club. Haven't done it in a couple of years, but I got good enough to drive several tracks without an instructor in the car. It's awesome.

You go girl!

CarolynArtist said...

Lol Bella Jaim, I'm glad you agree about cometition & sports! ...and the lead foot doesn't come in handy so much in autocross, which is difficult, you have to learn to lift off the pedal at times, and be brave at others.
WireSmith, ooooo you have a nice car. We took all the classes and I would recommend them too. There are these youngish guys who come out with fast cars, not taken the classes and always go off course.
I can go off course even with haven taken classes. :P Sometimes i ask for a ride-along with one of the instructors, just to get familiar with the course, then I go on my own. If you look closely at the first pic I have listed I am smiling so huge, there is always this really big loop at the bottom of the track (at every race) and it leads up (usually) into a slolam. I try so hard to remember where the long sweeps are.
where do you race?

Candace said...

Sounds like FUN Carolyn! Good luck in the Open Class race! :)

ckdowns said...

Okay, the safety gear is a good thing--and you sound like you have FUN!!

Bring your Mini-Cooper out to the prairie--we have LONG stretches of good paved road where you won't see anybody...and you can zoom-zoom all you want...I do it every day, back and forth to work. Hee-heee!

Feed that need for speed!!!! And good luck!

ckdowns said...

Oh, and I can see why racing would appeal to you after hearing TOLL BOOTH horror stories--all that start-and-stop traffic. That is NOT why Henry Ford made cars!!!!!

lisaslovlies said...

I bet it is a rush! Have fun Care!

Willow Branch said...

Vroom! Vroom!!

Pam

CarolynArtist said...

Hi guys! The race is this Sunday, these are old pics, well not that old :O
I had some mighty fiiine pasta from North Dakota tonight WOOT
AND...I poichased some new smiffing books for my smiffing libwawry!
Pam, come up and we'll have it! Have you ever had a Reeds ginger ale?
Hey Caroline, I would looooorve it! Some day I've got to get to Nebraska to see that side of the family...(well- the reservation and gravesites I suppose- genealogy stuff) When we go to OBX in NC we love to look up at the stars in the sky, some of you are so lucky you see it all the time!
Between old Soprano episodes tonight and Teacher Man by Frank McCourt I am trying to sport a New Joisy mixed w/Staten Island accent :P

Willow Branch said...

I'v never had Reed's ginger ale, but I hear it's one of the best. Is that the one from Jamaica? Another blog I read has a recipe for home made ginger ale. I can look it for you if you want.

Pam

sassyglassdesigns said...

That looks like such fun. When I was in high school, I dated a guy who did this type of racing and it was great fun to watch but I secretly always wanted to drive. Be careful and have fun!

CarolynArtist said...

Hey Sandi, it's a lot of fun! Did you ever ride along while he raced???
Pam, it is from Jamaica. It's available in lots of stores now. I would love to see the recipe. After tasting the real thing, it's hard to drink the fake stuff. And it makes your tummy feel good too :)