Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Brooch for Grandma

If any of you follow my blog you may recall this piece, it was going to be a pendant. Then I decided to keep it for myself (it has had a journey it will never realize).
While soldering some pin backs for brooches I decided this needed its final upgrade. I removed the stone, soldered the sterling silver pin back pieces to the back. I also removed all oxidation and did not tumble. She was crying out for a matt finish. The various golds needed to pop as well as the sterling silver. (I worked around the stone when I first designed her.) I found this stone a while back and fell hard for it. It reminds me a tad of my 6's, 7's and 9's Pendant. It also has that old timey look of the dishes my grandmother would have used back in the 40s or 50s.

Another quick side note about the design. I like to incorporate whimsical, but meaningful additions to some of my pieces. Leaves have held deep and dear meaning for me. The leaf I use to "paint" (not really paint...solder) onto my pieces is the very same style found througout my paintings. The flow of lines comes from that same place of allowing the piece to do just that, flow.

So here she is. Ready to list and fly to a new home.



and her backside, a lady should always have a clean, neat backside :)

10 comments:

bella-bijoujewellery said...

I love it Care! Its so soft and pretty the way you finished it! I couldnt agree more about the backside thing to lol.

janedeaux said...

That is beautiful, very unique.

CarolynArtist said...

Thanks guys. It feels complete now :)

SCJ Jewelry Design said...

This is beautiful! I love the stone. I love the setting. The two together are perfect!

CarolynArtist said...

thanks :)

Willow Branch said...

Looks great!! I loved it before, but I think I love it more as a brooch.

Pam

Tammy's Treasure Chest said...

It turned out to be a stunning piece! And it does have an old timey feel, which is a GOOD thing! :)

CarolynArtist said...

Thank you Tammy! I need to get a photo wearing it then I'll list it. (i was hoping for old timey!) :P

ckdowns said...

Care, this is so beautiful...so fluid...so alive...your grandmother is smiling at the way your honor her memory, I just know it!

Good for you!
With prairie hugs!!!!!

CarolynArtist said...

Gladly receives all hugs, esp Prairie Hugs from you Caroline!!! :-)